Historic church Notre-Dame-de-la-Présentation
Ensuring humbly on the first parish founded in Shawinigan-Sud in 1910, this sanctuary, built in 1924, retains its walls what could be the greatest leader of religious and secular work of Canada.
From dream to reality
In 1941 Arthur Jacob, then priest, took steps to find the artist who would be able to realize his dream of decorating his church which was virtually stripped of all ornament. His research lead him to the painter Ozias Leduc, dominant figure of the sacred painting in Canada.
From Almaville-en-bas to Shawinigan-Sud
The parish was founded in 1910 and its first church was built in 1911. The name comes from Almaville, a suggestion by the pastor of Our Lady of Mount Carmel at the official recognition of the parish, the first Sunday of Advent where they sing the antiphon Alma Redemptoris Mater, Alma mater meaning foster mother.
However, the name of Shawinigan-Sud will prevail in the late 1940s. In 2001 the Quebec government, led by Lucien Bouchard and Bernard Landry, decided to accelerate the consolidation of municipalities movement undertaken during the 1990s is therefore present at the creation of the new city of Shawinigan by the merger of the old city and the cities of Grand-Mère and Shawinigan-Sud, in the municipality of Lac-à-la-Tortue, the village of St-George, the parishes of Saint-Gérard-des-Laurentides and Saint-Jean-des-Piles.